Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Team Post: News from Dana...NOT the dining hall!

By Dana Hatton ‘18

Hi all,

I’m Dana, a freshman coming from Cape Elizabeth, Maine and yes my name is the same as the dining hall here on campus.  What’s even crazier is that my initials are DDH as in “Dana Dining Hall”…mind=blown, yes.  Now that we got that out of the way, I can excitedly say that these first few weeks of captains practices have gone really well.  Everyone seems to be excited and eager to work hard; it must be from all the valuable training we’ve done this summer.

At the end of June, my mom, sister and I went to Spain.  We stayed in Madrid and visited Toledo and Cercedilla as well.  My junior year of high school, my family hosted an exchange student named Claudia from Madrid and the purpose of this trip was to visit her.  It was an excellent experience, but I had to make sure I was still training too.  We hiked in Cercedilla, Spain and my sister, who skied for Bowdoin all four years, and I added some running in and made it more of a workout.  The hike was rocky and challenging.



The hike up, in Cercidilla, Spain


The view from the hike in Cercedilla, Spain

When I came back from Spain, I added more roller skiing in to my workouts.

Roller skiing in my hometown

I did a lot of running, hiking, and swimming and went to NH and NY, but Spain was the big highlight for me this summer.  It was definitely a new challenge to keep up with the bigger amount of training I needed to do and enjoy the summer, but I know that it’s all worth it.

As I’m getting to know everyone and everything at SLU, the team has made the adjustment easier.  We’ve gone to so many different places to train, which has made working out that much more fun.  Some of the highlights from this week included, venturing to Seven Springs yesterday, an old downhill ski mountain for Clarkson, and running on some very rolling hills.  We played soccer for the first time as a team, usually we add in some Frisbee to an easy day, but decided it was time to mix it up.  A few days ago we went to SUNY Canton and did some fantastic skate intervals around their campus.  I do have to say that the freshmen were killing it.  Despite the rain spitting on us at the end, it was a great workout before eating a warm brunch at Dana....the dining hall.



No comments: