Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Deep reflections from Will!

By Will Frielinghaus '15 

The colors are reaching their peak in the North Country as official practice & testing have started.  I have seen many seasons pass and go at St. Lawrence University, but this fall is symbolic of the change many St. Lawrence skiers have undergone this summer. For those who do not know me, my name is William Frielinghaus. I have skied at St. Lawrence for three, soon to be four years and it has been a rewarding experience with many victories and some letdowns.  After last year, which didn’t live up to the goals of many on the team, many of the skiers decided to focus on higher quality summer training.  Blaine, Calvin, Erin and Kate went to Truckee California where they skied with other EISA athletes, elite skiers and juniors from the area. Meng was also out there with them after his fun-filled trip to Switzerland. 

Will (yellow shirt, on right) during a training session on the Birkie trail this summer

This summer I went to Cable, Wisconsin to train with the CXC summer collegiate program.  The daily sessions were coached by head CXC coach Bill Pierce and assistant coach Andy Keller.  Train by day, make drinks by night: I bartended in the evenings at a family golf/lake resort to make a little money on the side for college. It was gratifying work because I learned to interact with people of all age groups and enjoy the perks of working at a large resort (free swim, discounts on boat rentals).  I strongly recommend aspiring Nordic skiers see what a solid summer of training with a full time coach can do for them. I learned a lot about my weaknesses, whether they be emotional or physical, which often held me back during certain races or training.  The summer program allowed me and many other skiers to become more independent and also focus on what we want out of the 2014-2015 season. 

A fall classic: the Brown's Bridge double pole test! Great weather!

The yearly slew of freshman are training well also…reflecting back on my three years at St. Lawrence, I have seen how the upperclassman are a source of information and friendship in a very busy setting with academics, sports and social life. In the process of making the freshman and the returners feel at home while they are on the team I realize how much I have matured as well as the other members of the ski team. 

Excited teammates make for productive training!


Testing has been fun as well. It’s interesting to see how much depth our team has this year.  This team is biding its time while making improvements.  I can tell just by the newfound enthusiasm that the St. Lawrence University ski team will be a strong competitor in the various carnivals this year.  Till then I’ll be on the trails with my friends and home.

No comments: